This time of year always makes me pause to reflect on my blessings. Seriously, I have so much to be grateful for. So much of what I take for granted every single day is someone else’s struggle. We often live in a bubble of more, more, more. We get caught up in social media perfection–I am so guilty of this! All of those insta shots are meticulously staged and edited. My life is neither, staged nor edited. I am not criticizing, I love a curated IG feed and a beautiful home, I just think it is important to step back from that once in a while and count our blessings.
There are so many people in our own communities fighting their own battles and I want to help. I’ve really thought a lot about how I, as an individual, and “WE”, as a community can do better. I keep coming back to two words: LOVE and KINDNESS. Love wins. Kindness wins. But, we can’t sit idly by and hope for the best. We have to start somewhere and I think your own backyard is a great place.
In this season of more–more gifts, more decor, more everything. I’d like to propose more kindness and love. There are so many ways to enact positive change in your own community. So, here it is, instead of another Gift Guide, I present you with a “Giving Back Guide.”
- Donate to local food banks
- Participate in Toys for Tots
- Adopt a child or family off of an Angel Tree
- Reach out to The Salvation Army for volunteer and donation opportunities
- Volunteer time at a soup kitchen
- Contact local schools and churches to inquire about families in need
- Host a Holiday party for a cause (we are hosting one this weekend, the invitees will each bring a new unwrapped toy or food pantry item to donate locally).
- Pay off (or toward) someone’s layaway
- Post in Facebook swap groups asking if there is anyone in need in your area
- Donate clothes and toys to local shelters (homeless, women’s, etc.)
The list could go on and on but, this is a good place to start! What will you do to give back to your community this season?