It is always so much fun to see what the “trend” is going to be every holiday season. I think we can say with a good amount of certainty, that this year’s theme is Minimalism and it is so good. It feels like everyone is taking a bit of a step back and remembering what this time is about, instead of focusing on bigger and better. I for one, love it! Maybe it’s just me, but, this year feels different. The energy is full of gratitude and reflection.
Needless to say, I happily jumped on the minimalist bandwagon this year. It took me less than a day to decorate and my family has really enjoyed soaking it all in. There will be a holiday home tour on the blog next week, but I wanted to post this DIY, incase you were looking for a fun, inexpensive, and super easy project this weekend. I was inspired by Cynthia Harper’s Holiday decor that she posted on IG. Side note: If you’re not following her, you should be! Isn’t this dreamy?!
With Cynthia’s mantle as inspiration, I decided to attempt some DIY minimalist wreaths, and I am more than happy with how they turned out.
Metal Rings (these ones are gold, but, mine were silver so I spray painted them gold)
Greenery: any kind you can find. I went to Trader Joes and got two of their swags and just took them apart to use for my wreaths.
Step 1: Spray paint rings (optional).
Step 2: Deconstruct your Swag/Organize your greenery
I laid out an old drop cloth that I had lying around and got to deconstructing my greenery. I used the TJ’s swag because it was only $6.99 for the bunch and I was able to make 5 wreaths from just one. Once I cut the wires and took apart the bundle, I quickly put each different kind of greenery into separate piles.
Step 3: Build your wreath.
Next I just grabbed some greenery and attached it to the ring with the floral wire. I wanted it to look really natural and be a bit asymmetrical, but this part is totally up for creative interpretation.
The Finished Wreaths
I charged my husband with finding me a stick to use to display, rested the sick on two nails and tied the wreaths to the stick at different heights. I used fishing wire, but, in retrospect I should have used a jute string to make the display look more cohesive.
I applied the same method for a couple of grapevine wreaths, as well. One for above the stove and one for the front door.
If you like it, share it! If you try it, tag me!